Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Gilchrist to Serve One More Term

Peter Gilchrist has announced he will run for one more term as the District Attorney for Mecklenburg County. He has served since 1975 and will be 71 when he leaves office. Yes, I'm already marking up a win for Mr. Gilchrist.

I haven't followed the courts, but like Gilchrist, I'm a native Mecklenburger. I've lived here most of my life and for almost 3/4 of my life he has been the DA. In all this time I don't remember a scandal in his office. I may have a very bad memory, but I just can't recall anything that sullies his reputation. I certainly don't think there is a compelling reason for people to vote against Peter Gilchrist.

The Charlotte Observer reports that Mayor Pat McCrory and County Commissioner Bill James both want to see better funding in the DA's office. I think Mr. Gilchrist has earned the right to hang around to work under more favorable conditions.

Thank you Mr. Gilchrist for your many years of service and your willingness to hang around for another term. Also, thanks to all the ADAs who continue to serve our community under less than ideal circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home