Thursday, December 22, 2005

Bush PR Not Fooling Mel Watt

Mel Watt is my Representative in Washington. I've always voted for him. I never really gave it a second thought. Recently, though I've read two quotes by him that warmed my heart, so I figure he deserves some love on my front page.

In a December 9th Charlotte Observer article by Tim Funk about the GOP's new war on illegal immigration, Watt attributed the GOP's newfound intensity over this issue to politics. His comments matched what I had been saying all along about the GOP picking a new hot topic to move attention away from the war.

Republicans, he said, "are just trying to change the subject from other issues that they don't want to talk about. "When the Republicans on the county commission and the Republicans up here start operating in tandem on an issue, you know there's something political going on."

Today in the New York Times, Mel Watt once again indicates that he isn't fooled by the politics. It seems the White House has finally opened its doors to some leaders in the black community after shutting them out the entire first term. Watt was among a group of black leaders attending a gathering at the White House on Dec. 7. Watt's answers to questions show that he is optimistic, but skeptical.

Asked whether he though the White House was making a genuine effort to repair efforts with black leaders, Mr. Watt said: "I don't know if it's real or not. I do think it's desirable. I don't know if it's sincere. I haven't seen anything in their policies that suggest that it is anything but a public relations move. "

Mel Watt is not impressed with a trip to the White House and he isn't fooled by the feeble attempts of the President to look like he actually cares about the black community. Watt's leadership in Congress and the Black Congressional Caucus will be important in the 2006 elections as the GOP continues to try and bring black voters into its fold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home