Tuesday, March 21, 2006

We can't Protect Everyone from Themselves

I haven't been a big proponent or opponent of the lottery in North Carolina. The few years we lived in Ohio I would pick up a ticket every now and then. More often than not I would forget to check the numbers. I've always felt if I was going to throw away money I would buy something tangible and real, but useless. I didn't even gamble when we went on a cruise a few years ago. This has simply been an issue I couldn't get excited about.

That is, until I read this
Observer article all the way through. I don't usually read the lottery stories. They just don't interest me. This one really does bother me. I haven't studied the financial ins and outs of the lottery or whether it will accomplish what it's supposed to for the state. I don't really care about that.

I do care about the people who will wind up wasting money they can ill afford to waste. I realize we can't save everyone from their vices, but it bothers me to think that this might just hurt more people than it helps and that our state is introducing this problem into some of their lives. It's an interesting read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home