Sunday, March 26, 2006

Charlotte Observer Calls for Jim Black to Resign

I can honestly say that I don't always agree with The Charlotte Observer. When it comes to asking for Jim Black's resignation, I think it's the right thing to do. I understand that Black hasn't been indicted for a crime, but his carelessness and lack of good judgment have harmed his office and if left to fester could taint other Democrats in November's elections.

What's even more amazing is that The Charlotte Observer agrees with me on why Jim Black should step down. ( I say they agree with me because I called for Black to step down first....I'm just positive they saw that blog post!) As the Observer puts it:
The issue is leadership. Speaker Black has manipulated the political system to
remain in office. He has winked at the spirit of campaign finance laws. He has
abused power to punish adversaries and reward allies at the public's expense.
I don't think Jim Black is toxic. I don't think it's even close. I also don't think that other Democrats are harming their chances in November by standing by their leader since there is no proof that he did anything illegal. I actually like the fact that the feeding frenzy has been limited to Republicans and it is an ugly sight to behold.

News 14 has a piece out with a little more detail about what might be expected in the fall.

Republicans are pushing to regain control of the House, but they have their own problems with infighting between moderates and conservatives.

“The trouble for Republicans is they are going to spend a lot of money in these (primary) races and then come November have no money and create ill will among voters,” said David McLennan, Peace College political expert.

There was an unscientific-but revealing poll at BlueNC on whether Jim Black should resign now. I don't know if it lines up with public opinion, the opinions of Democrats or those of Republicans, but I know that many think Black should resign now. If as News 14 reports he would probably resign if indicted, I think most of us will accept that. I believe though, that we need to hear that from Jim Black, so we can move on to more important issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home