Wednesday, July 05, 2006

This is the Mill Robin Hayes Closed

This temporary posting has been removed for editing and photo replacement purposes. This post will return at a later date.

Ahhhh, so I've removed my bit of poetry until my stock photos can be replaced with as many 8th District photos as possible. Don't worry, though. It will return soon. I had posted it so that I could see the formatting and others could get a look to help me with obtaining pictures from the 8th District.

It didn't take long for a couple of fans to find this piece and immediately jump in. So, this post will now be used to air their debate until the poetry returns.

First the ever brave Anonymous chimed in. In my bit of poetry I had made the comment that CAFTA and NAFTA had sent jobs over seas.
This is the man who lost his job, his insurance, his retirement, his home, his savings and his self esteem when Robin Hayes sent the mills and their jobs over seas.
Well, Mr. Anonymous just couldn't wait to point out that Robin Hayes didn't send jobs over seas, he sent them to Canada and Mexico and there are no seas between the US and either of these countries.

Of course, there aren't, but over seas did sound a bit more poetic than over the wall or across the gulf or up continent. Always wanting to please my readers, I decided to change over seas to "to other countries". Well, that didn't make Mr. Anonymous happy because now he claims I was changing the facts.
This is the man who lost his job, his insurance, his retirement, his home, his savings and his self esteem when Robin Hayes sent the mills and their jobs to other countries.
Oh, but Mr. Anonymous, I'm not changing the facts. The facts have stayed the same. Robin Hayes signed legislation that he promised he wouldn't and factories/mills and their jobs have gone to other countries. That is a fact. It is a truth and I didn't change that one bit. You seem to believe that the only places they went were Canada and Mexico, which we know isn't true, but I tried to appease you by changing a couple of words.

Also, since you appear to be geographically challenged, I will tell you that Mexico and Canada are foreign countries, even if we share a continent, so saying that's where the jobs went isn't any better than saying they went over seas. Good try, though.

Mr. Anonymous, the facts have stayed the same. You simply made my point for me. The jobs are in other countries. They have gone over seas, up and down the continent, over walls and across gulfs and they continue to travel down an isthmus. I don't know if I'll leave the phrase "to other countries" in or change it back. I'm going to read over it a few times to see how it sounds.

Next, I'll address commenter Justin's remarks. But for now, I have other work to do. I will update later today or tomorrow. Stay tuned!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the mill closed because of CAFTA and NAFTA, and the job went over seas which sea is between the US and Canada or the US and Mexico?

9:55 AM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger B. Muse said...

Jobs went to countries other than Canada and Mexico. You know it and I know it. CAFTA and NAFTA are just part of the many problems created by Republican rule that have caused the closing of mills and factories.

The phrase "Republican fiscal incompetence" might have been more accurate, but it wasn't as poetic. Thanks for your comment.

10:45 AM, July 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, NAFTA would have never passed under a Democratic President with a Democratic Congress.

Wait. The Facts Strike AGAIN!!!

12:45 AM, July 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That’s the funny thing about poems and politics when accuracy (aka truth) doesn’t fit just change the words (aka facts) to make the point.

9:18 AM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger B. Muse said...

The truth...free trade agreements sent mills to other countries. Does it really matter if they are over seas? The mills and the jobs are no longer here, right? Ya'll keep on doing my editing for me. It helps me out and I certainly do appreciate it. I still think over seas sounds better, though. But, since ya'll are all upset about that I'm settling for "to other countries".

You want to split hairs, fine. Jobs have been sent across seas, to other continents and to other countries because of free trade agreements and I'll be glad to keep piling that on. Keep on making my point for me. Please.

10:59 AM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger B. Muse said...

Justin, justin, justin...and if Bill Clinton were running for Congress in the 8th District I'd be calling him out too.

Here's the difference.

I don't recall Bill Clinton ever saying he was "flat out, horizontally" against NAFTA the way Robin Hayes said he was against CAFTA. Bill Clinton is no longer in office, so why would you even bring him up?

This isn't about Bill Clinton. This is about Robin Hayes and his promises to vote against Fast-Track and CAFTA. He broke those promises and I will keep hitting that fact until he's out of Washington.

You can try to change the subject all you want by bringing up Bill Clinton and I will simply remind you that he didn't vote for FAST-TRACK or CAFTA. Robin Hayes voted for both...he was the deciding vote for both. He lied to his consituents about his intentions and he cried on the floor of the House after the arm-twisting he got before voting for Fast-track.

If you want to have a conversation I encourage you to stay on point. But since you want to talk about Bill Clinton I will assure you that if he ever runs again I'll be sure to bring NAFTA up.

I know you want to change the conversation to Bill Clinton, but currently I'm discussing Robin Hayes and the fact that he lied to his constituents and cast the deciding vote for legislation that would further harm the textile industry in his very district and the rest of this state.

11:12 AM, July 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is about Robin Hayes and his promises to vote against Fast-Track and CAFTA. He broke those promises and I will keep hitting that fact until he's out of Washington.

Well, while you're at it, I would suggest that you dig a little deeper and look into the industry-specific consessions that he got from the White House on both occasions.

9:24 AM, July 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Concessions--is that Republican Wonk speak for contributions from special interests that bribed him to turn on his own people?? No concessions for us here living in this struggling area--not even a job selling bags of popcorn or hotdogs dear Justin. They have spun you into such a frenzy all you can see are the arguments and the reality is on the ground--a district that is tired of the political bull shit of Robin Hayes and his band of loyal followers.

You all go right ahead and keep trying to cloud this issue--you are only fooling yourselves. Hayes is on his way out. I live here in Concord and I've voted for Hayes before. I won't make that mistake again and neither will anyone else I know.

5:06 PM, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home